Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Toire

After having arrived at my cousin's place in Osaka after a long bus ride and a taxi ride, it was natural for my son Ethan to want to use the bathroom. We were escorted to the bathroom.

"Ethan, do you want me to stay?" I asked.

"No, that's okay," was the reply. So I closed the door and left.

After about 10 minutes, we began to wonder if Ethan was okay. Perhaps he was having difficulties with the toilet. It was a Western style toilet so I never thought to give him pointers on the use of the toilet. I decided to go check on him.

Knock. Knock. "Is everything okay in there?"

"Yes, Dad. I'm done," was the reply. He didn't sound troubled, but I didn't hear any movement either so I decided to take a peek. Opening the door slightly I could see that he was still on the toilet, his feet not quite touching the floor swinging back and forth like the tail of a happy pup.

"Are you finished? Or are you just roosting?" I inquired.

He started to push himself off the toilet, hands on the seat like a gymnast dismounting from a pommel horse. "But Dad it's so warm."

I had no idea what he was talking about. The bathroom was your typical Japanese bathroom. A small room with a toilet with a tank that had a wash basin built on top. The room did feel a couple of degrees warmer than the rest of the house - maybe because it was small and cozy.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Dad, the toilet's warm," was the reply.

I felt the toilet seat. It was warm. The toilet seat had a seat warmer! Ethan had a big smile on his face, "See, Dad."

Meet the Toto Washlet. [Note: the brand name Toto is synonymous with toilets in Japan much as Otis is to elevators here in the U.S.]

The last time we were in Japan nine years ago perhaps one of my relative's home had such a toilet. This time around nearly all of the homes had a Washlet, likely the most sophisticated toilet ever made. The list of features available with these toilets is almost endless: adjustable water jet nozzles, massage options, blow dryers, heater, air conditioning, air freshener, auto lid, pressure sensitive seats, self cleaning nozzles, and germ resistant surfaces. See this link for more information on toilets in Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_toilet

As you can see, using the the "toiretto" or "toire" (from the word "toilet) in Japan can be quite a comforting experience.

1 comment:

  1. When I went to the Noritake (ceramics) museum in Nagoya, they had one section called "Canvas" that focused on educating visitors about the physical/technological features of ceramics. They had interactive displays, many of which seemed to be tied back to . . . toilets. And I thought all Noritake did was sell dinner plates!

    ReplyDelete