Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Hero

We're in the midst of the college bowl season. It's gotten so cliche to say that there are too many bowl games, but it's true.

But there's something that I cannot really stand at all. It's when the announcers talk about the courage of a player or team who is just playing football. "That was such a courageous effort." What are these people talking about? Do they realize what words are coming our of their mouths.

Contrast this with what happened yesterday in NYC. A man performed an act that really was courageous. One 50-year old Wesley Autrey jumped onto the subway tracks to save a total stranger who had fallen into the way of an on-coming train. Wesley tried to get the man back onto the platform, but wasn't able to do so. So he did the only thing that he could. He pushed the man into the space between the tracks and laid on top of him to try to make sure that the both of them would stay below the train's under carriage. The train passed over the two of them. They emerged with only a few minor injuries. Quite amazing. And you thought this was only possible in movies.

I'm fairly certain that I would not have been able to do the same if I saw someone fall in the way of an on-coming. Autrey is quoted as saying, "I think I did the right thing. And it ain't about being a hero, it's just being able to be here and help the next person."

No comments:

Post a Comment