Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Cats of Mirikitani

My sister told me about this documentary called "The Cats of Mirikitani" that is being screened in the Mission District of San Francisco April 27 through May 3 at the Roxie New College Film Center.

Jimmy Mirikitani was born in Sacramento in 1920. His family returned to Hiroshima (where several perished in the atomic bomb), but he returned to the U.S. at 18. When WWII started he was interned at Tule Lake. Through the course of events, he landed homeless on the streets of NYC.

My father John was born in Snoqualmie Falls, Washington outside Seattle in 1929. His older brother's American name was Jimmy. My father with his family returned to Okayama before WWII. He returned to the U.S. on his own after WWII. Eventually he was drafted by the U.S. Army and served some of his time in the military in Japan. Through the course of events, he landed in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska where he would spend most of his adult life. Now retired, he lives outside Seattle.

One of my carpool partners recently said, "fate is whatever happens to you; you can't control it."

I suppose this is one explanation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your link on "Fishface" (I'm her cousin), and of course, your blog's name had something to do with it too. I'm nikkei from Brazil and lived in Japan for many years. I feel connected to many of your accounts in Japan so after reading them I decided to drop a line here. We have 2 kids, much younger than yours but your experience with them is also inspirational for us. I'm sure to come back here for more exciting reading !

    ReplyDelete